TOA Systems’ Visual Warning System (VWS) connects data from any TOA lightning detection network to Campbell Scientific’s RA110 visual and audible alarm hardware to enable remote location of one or several alarm systems for high-profile safety alerting.
Optionally, indoor visual and audible Patlite Corporation LR5 Series alarm hardware is available for placement in operations rooms, for example.
Utilizing TOA’s VWS software, customizable alert regions, thresholds and warning types are established for each VWS alarm system based on the customer’s assessment criteria for potential risk to its people and infrastructure.
When the TOA network detects lightning within one of the customer’s defined regions, the VWS system triggers visual and/or audible alarms that warn anyone in the vicinity of the possible dangers approaching.
The VWS lightning warning criteria are highly configurable and can be set to escalate as lightning risk increases, determined by user-defined severity and proximity.
Each TOA Visual Weather System consists of:
- TOA’s VWS Processor software to integrate the hardware with TOA’s lightning network data feed;
- for each alarm hardware device, a CR800 datalogger, a power supply, a communication device and an enclosure; and
- one or more outdoor RA100 Remote Strobe and Siren Alarms, and/or indoor LR5 LED Signal Tower Alarms.
Additional optional elements include:
- TOA’s VWS Display user interface software for visualization of VWS lightning activity, and for remote status monitoring and testing of the VWS hardware;
- communication options for connection over ethernet, fiber or spread-spectrum radio; and
- various alternatives for mounting the enclosure and the RA100 alarm hardware to suit different settings.
TOA’s VWS Processor and VWS Display software can be provided on a supplied and pre-configured Windows PC for the option of plug-and-play or for installation on a customer-supplied PC meeting TOA’s minimum specifications. The VWS PC can be installed at a remote location away from the VWS alarm hardware, with the distance dependent on the communication platform selected.
- Manages and co-ordinates the VWS system components, including intercommunication between lightning data, user interface display and the remote alarm subsystem
- Runs in the background without user input or intervention
- Configured to each customer’s unique requirements
- Provides visualization of recent lightning strokes for the VWS region on a scalable map
- Displays the configured VWS alert range rings
- Dynamic status boxes represent the current state of both the system and the connected VWS alarm lights and siren
- Test functions allow the user to manually activate individual lights and the siren
Each TOA VWS comes with Campbell Scientific’s RA110 remote alarm system consisting of:
- one or more outdoor strobe light and audible alarms;
- a measurement and control datalogger;
- a power supply and communications device;
- a waterproof and mountable enclosure; and
- brackets for mounting to a flat surface or optional pole-mounting kits.
The outdoor alarm unit includes ultra-bright red, yellow and blue 100,000-hour lifetime rating SAE Class II LED beacons and an attention-grabbing 120 dB siren.
As an alternative or a supplement to the RA110 outdoor alarm hardware, TOA is also able to supply an alarm system suitable for indoor use, utilizing Patlite hardware consisting of one or more LR5 LED light and audible alarms.
Each such indoor alarm connects to the same hardware as the outdoor alarm system: the datalogger, a power supply and communications. Various options for desk or wall mounting are additionally available.
Saving lives and improving thunderstorm forecasting in Malaysia
SB Safety Network Foundation launches Philippine-wide lightning detection network
TOA Systems And MetraWeather Asia Expand Pan-ASEAN Lightning Network
TOA’s Australian lightning network partnership with MetraWeather
TOA Systems provides Bangladesh’s first lightning system
Learn more about our High Precision Lightning Detection and Warning Alert System.
Contact Us Now!